The Australian Shepherd originated on western America’s ranches as stockdog and guard, moving stock long distances and keeping a watchful eye over his charges. Aussies retain a strong herding instinct, and are noted for intelligence, energetic temperament and trainability. The Miniature Australian Shepherd should not be regarded as an easy substitute for the Australian Shepherd, nor should prospective owners expect “miniature” to imply a very small dog or one of diminished drive. Mini Aussies excel in many disciplines due to their heartiness, drive, and loyalty.
President Vivian Beard (307) 631-2204 Secretary Dianna Jaynes, Canada (613) 929-6941
The Miniature Australian Shepherd Club of America (MASCA) is the oldest and largest extant parent club for the Australian Shepherd of the miniature variety. Since its foundation in 1996, MASCA has worked with owners and breeders to promote the sound breeding, welfare and wider recognition of the mini Aussie.
Memberships paid after Oct 1, 2015 will remain current until Dec 31, 2016
- To protect the health, type, temperament and instinct and promote quality in the breeding of purebred Australian Shepherds of the miniature variety (including preventing the sale of puppies through pet stores);
- To maintain a completely documented and accurate registry and recording database for Australian Shepherds of the miniature variety;
- To maintain a standard reflecting the ideal consistent with genetically achievable goals of the Australian Shepherd of the miniature variety; to urge members to accept the MASCA standard as the only standard of excellence by which Australian Shepherds of the miniature variety shall be judged; and to manage a fair process to educate judges in the MASCA standard;
- To promote the formation of affiliated clubs in those localities where there are sufficient fanciers to meet the requirements;
- To sanction conformation shows, herding trials, obedience trials, agility trials and performance events, and to encourage sportsmanlike participation by members in all forms of competition;
- To pursue further recognition as the variety becomes populous enough and when breeders have demonstrated that they are breeding sound, consistently typey dogs of the correct instinct and temperament;
- To educate members, enthusiasts and the general public through all available venues whenever possible.
The Miniature Australian Shepherd Club of America is pleased to have partnered with Paw Print Genetics to provide affordable testing for your dogs. Using discount code MASCA, save 20% off any order or 25% off two or more tests in the same dog, including disease tests, coat colors and traits, or 40% off the Miniature Australian Shepherd Disease Panel. Find your tests here: https://www.pawprintgenetics.com/products/breeds/39/
Place your order at https://www.pawprintgenetics.com/ or call them Mon-Fri 8am-5pm pst at 509-483-5950. This code is valid through December 31, 2016, cannot be applied to previous orders or combined with other offers. Discount excludes Parentage testing and DNA profiling. Be sure to use your discount code only for MASCA members at checkout!
There are currently openings on a few Committees.
We would love to have members get involved with your club
and join us on these committees.
Code of Ethics Update
Through MASCA, the parent club and registry for the Australian Shepherd of the miniature variety, the mini Aussie remains a size variety of the Australian Shepherd, with a continuous gene pool. The dogs will NOT become a separate breed, UNLIKE the AKC Miniature American Shepherd. Dog owners and future owners concerned with maintaining Australian Shepherd heritage, instinct, temperament and type in a mini Aussie, are invited to contact MASCA for additional information about the club and its goals.
A MASCA mini Aussie:
- Is not registered with the AKC as a breed other than an Australian Shepherd
- Is not the same as the AKC/FSS Miniature American Shepherd
- Is the true Aussie of the miniature variety
- Will always be an Aussie
MASCA is NOT seeking recognition as a Miniature American Shepherd with AKC/FSS.
MASCA will protect the integrity of the MASCA registry and continue to register Australian Shepherds of the miniature variety. We are true to the heritage of our dogs.
Due to the recent developments with some dogs being registered with FSS/AKC as a breed other than an Australian Shepherd of the miniature variety, we ask that all pictures, brags, and announcements for our blog and website pertain to dogs registered as Australian Shepherds of the miniature variety, and ONLY registered as Australian Shepherds of the miniature variety.
MASCA also reserves the right to decide what information and pictures are placed on the official MASCA website.